The testing outline for fertility treatment is as follows.
- The first consultation is devoted to a detailed History including review of any old records/ultrasounds/Treatment cycles/etc. It is highly recommended that the male partner be present at the initial consultation.
- Semen analysis for the male partner. For more on the sperm parameters and their effects on fertility, please read this ASRM fact sheet: Sperm-morphology.pdf
- Physical examination and Cervical cultures
- Cycle day 3 blood tests (FSH, LH, Estradiol, anti-Mullerian hormone [AMH], TSH, Prolactin) and ultrasound. Clomid Challenge test (CCCT) may be performed in women > 36, or in younger women if the ovaries are noted to be small on ultrasound, eventhough the AMH and AFC tests have practically replaced CCCT testing. Women with prior poor response to injectable medications will also be candidates for this test.
- HSG (days 6-11). Effective June 2009, we will start performing HSG in our facility. Read about the HSG procedure fact sheet at hsg.pdf.
- Sonohysterogram (days 6-11): read ASRM’s fact sheet at SHG.pdf
- Office hysteroscopy (days 6-11)
- Cycle day 21 blood test (pregnancy test, progesterone level)
- Endometrial biopsy (day 22-25)
- Mammogram in women > 40, or in younger women with positive family history of breast cancer.
- In certain cases, a laparoscopy is needed to further evaluate tubal status or rule out endometriosis, adhesions, or other pathology. To read more about laparoscopy laparoscopy.pdf