The different types of fertility testing help us make the right diagnosis
At our Virginia fertility center, we have a wide variety of tests that help us understand each patient’s needs. They also help Dr. Fady Sharara develop the treatment plan that is most likely to result in a successful pregnancy. The types of fertility testing we may perform include blood tests, physical examinations, ultrasounds and more.
The types of fertility testing for women
At every new patient consultation, we take a complete medical history. After the consultation, Dr. Sharara will recommend several tests. Female patients can expect to undergo several types of fertility testing at our Virginia fertility center.
- Physical examination includes a cervical culture to rule out sexually transmitted infections and other diseases.
- Cycle Day 3 blood tests measure FSH, LH, estradiol, TSH, prolactin and anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH). These tests provide information about a woman’s ovarian reserve (egg supply). They can also help predict how she may respond to fertility medications.
- Transvaginal ultrasound involves inserting an ultrasound wand into the vagina. Doing so creates pictures of your ovaries, which allows us to check for cysts and perform an antral follicle count. This count provides information about a woman’s ovarian reserve.
- Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is a special x-ray of the uterus. A radiologist takes it after injecting a high-contrast iodine dye. It can help visualize the size and shape of the uterus, and whether the fallopian tubes are open.
- Sonohysterogram (SHG) also examines the shape of the uterus and allows Dr. Sharara to determine whether there are fibroids or other abnormalities. We perform this ultrasound after passing a saline solution into the uterus through the cervix.
- ERA testing. Late in the menstrual cycle, we may biopsy a small piece of the endometrium (uterine lining). Our team can analyze it to ensure that the endometrium is receptive to pregnancy.
- Other tests may include minimally invasive surgery to rule out conditions like endometriosis or adhesions.
The fertility assessments for men
The male partner will also need to undergo some tests to rule out male factor infertility. The types of fertility testing that male patients can expect are as follows.
- Semen analysis involves analyzing a sample of seminal fluid in the lab. The analysis measures sperm count and semen volume. It also gauges whether the sperm have the right shape for fertilization, and whether they move properly.
- Blood tests can help make sure hormone levels are appropriate for reproduction.
Fertility treatment that patients trust
Our Virginia fertility center is proud to offer fertility treatment, lab work, an egg donor program and psychological support all within the same practice. We have the breadth of services to make treatment convenient, and the depth of experience to ensure high-quality care from start to finish.
To learn more about the types of fertility testing, or to schedule an appointment, don’t hesitate to contact our office.