Recognizing National Infertility Awareness Month
April is National Infertility Awareness Month. Our Virginia fertility center wants to take the opportunity to spread knowledge about infertility and give you hope about its treatment.
Infertility is a common problem. Research suggests that about 12% of couples experience it. Still, the unique circumstances of couples and individuals can make infertility sufferers feel very alone. Our message to you is simple. You are not alone.
Infertility awareness facts
The human reproductive system is complex. Patients who visit our Virginia fertility center come from many races, ages, cultures and backgrounds. In increasing infertility awareness this month, here are some facts about infertility that everyone should know:
- Infertility is being unable to achieve pregnancy after at least a year of unprotected sex.
- For couples without infertility who have unprotected sex, the average chance of pregnancy each month is between 20-25%.
- Infertility can be caused by problems in a man’s body (male-factor infertility) or in a woman’s body (female-factor infertility.)
- Male and female infertility are equally as common.
- In about 30% of infertile couples, biological causes of infertility occur in both partners.
- Lifestyle changes, like achieving a healthy weight or quitting smoking, can improve the chances of getting pregnant for some patients.
- Medication, surgery and fertility treatment can all help resolve infertility.
- Infertility can sometimes be caused by genetic disorders that couples didn’t know about.
There are many reasons why a couple may be struggling with infertility. Meeting with qualified and experienced fertility providers is the first step toward achieving the family of their dreams.
Help is available
Our Virginia fertility center recommends that couples schedule an appointment if they have been trying to get pregnant for a year or more without success. If the hopeful mother is 35 years or older, we recommend the couple visits us if they have unsuccessfully tried to get pregnant for six months or more.
We have years of experience in leading-edge fertility treatments that have made all the difference for hopeful parents just like you. To learn more about the services we offer, or to find new hope on your fertility journey, please contact our office today